Monday, February 2, 2009

Patrick's Favorite Puff Pastry

We went to our neighbors for the CNY party last Saturday, and I asked my husband what should I make - an apple pie or puff pastry - he said apple pie, but I like puff pastry, so I made both! I made the apple pie first, then my son brought it to the neighbors, while I was making puff pastry. Then I'm done with the first batch and just finshed shaping everything when my neighbor rang the doorbell and said, it's time for hotpot. I quickly changed (my black shirt is kinda floury as I forgot to put on my apron), then went to the neighbors place. We had hotpot (with lots and lots and lots of things in it)...really yummy! It also provided us very comforting warmth on a windy HK winter night. We were having hotpot on the balcony. After the hotpot, we watched some DVDs while eating the pastry and puff! It's gone!

Patrick, as usual, is not hungry and very busy playing with everyone, and later on, with NDS. When we got home (around 11 pm), he's looking for puff pastry as he is now hungry. Well, it's gone and Patrick is so sad.

So I promised Patrick to make puff pastry again, with different jams!

I used this recipe for puff pastry, very easy to follow!http://msglaze.typepad.com/paris/2007/06/how-to-make-puf.html
My ever reliable assistant - Patrick - and me shaped the pastries. We made some pinwheels and envelopes, and used the trimmings to make hearts and sticks. There are so many shapes possible (really up to your imagination). Here is a very helpful blog on how to shape pastries to give you more idea http://joepastry.web.aplus.net/index.php?cat=89


BTW, I made some danish pastry before, but my family prefers the no yeast version - hence puff pastry!

Then we baked the puff pastry at 200 C for 20 mins. Then we put some strawberry, blueberry, apricot, and orange jam.......delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment