Thursday, March 26, 2009

Pan de Sal

Pan de Sal is the most popular bread in the Philippines. Usually eaten for breakfast and snacks with any filling - cheese, leftover adobo, corned beef, coconut jam, condensed milk, whatever you have! I searched the net for some recipes but can’t find a good one. Most of the recipes I found use baking powder, which I think shouldn’t be used for pan de sal. Anyway, my recipe is using a pre-ferment (sponge) made of flour, water, and yeast, which I wait to ferment for at least 4 hours, and I only used these ingredients – flour (bread and wholemeal), salt, sugar, yeast, water, milk or whipping cream (for nicer taste and texture), butter (to help the bread stay moist and also help the dough rise), and cornmeal (for dusting, so there is no need to oil the pan…makes it so slippery).

Pan de sal below is made only with bread flour (the shop I usually go to ran out of wholemeal). I like the wholemeal version more….

DSC_0208DSC_0209

No comments:

Post a Comment